Our Lady of Tears Church welcomes couples who wish to celebrate their wedding in its historic sanctuary.
A marriage is of great importance to Our Lady of Tears Catholic Church. Since marriage is one of the seven sacraments of the Catholic Church, the celebration of a wedding in Our Lady of Tears Church needs to be in conformity with the teachings of the Catholic Church.
If either the bride or the groom is a baptized Catholic:
- The wedding must be celebrated according to the canon law of the Catholic Church.
- The Roman Catholic Diocese of Boise requires a four-month advanced notice before a wedding, and requires all engaged couples to participate in a marriage preparation program prior to the wedding.
- Certain pre-nuptial investigations need to be completed.
- The wedding couple should contact their local Catholic parish and complete all these necessary requirements there with the local clergy.
- The general expectation is that the priest or deacon of ones local parish will be the minister of the wedding.
Engaged Couples of other faiths are welcome to celebrate their wedding in Our Lady of Tears Church. The following guidelines are to be honored:
- Since Our Lady of Tears is a Catholic church, it is necessary that the bride and the groom both be free to marry according to the canon law of the Catholic Church. In short, this means that neither the bride nor the groom is to be a divorced person whose former spouse is still living.
- The wedding ceremony is to be a religious ceremony led by a recognized Christian minister. The engaged couple needs to present the name, address, and telephone number of the minister and his/her denominational affiliation. Weddings performed by a justice of the peace or other civil official may not be celebrated in Our Lady of Tears Church.
- The furniture and religious statutes and images in Our Lady of Tears Church are to be fully respected. They are not to be moved or removed from the sanctuary or the church.
- Our Lady of Tears Church requires payment of a $200.00 fee for use of the church for a wedding; this fee helps to pay for the maintenance and restoration of the church. Check should be made out to Our Lady of Tears Church and mailed to:
Our Lady of Tears Church
P.O. Box 6110
Boise, Idaho 83703
- The fee is to be paid at the time of making the reservation of the church. No reservation of the church for a wedding will be confirmed until payment of the fee.
- If a wedding is cancelled after payment of the fee, $150.00 is refundable.
- An Idaho marriage license must be obtained from Owyhee County or from another Idaho county.
Additional Information, Permission, Reservation: